RESEARCH PROJECT TOPIC ON THE EFFECT OF GENDER INEQUALITY ON WOMEN EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (A STUDY OF MONROVIA STREET, UNGUWAN RIMI – KADUNA)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The issue of gender inequality is one which has been publicly reverberally through society for decades. The problem of inequality in employment being one of the most pressing issues today, in order to examine this situation, one must try to get to the root of the problem and must understand the sociological factors that cause women to have a much more difficult time getting the same benefit, wages and job opportunities as their male counterpart. The society in which we live has been shaped historically makes the policy makers have consistently been male and it is important to examine all facts of the problem, but in order to fully tackle the issue on most recognize that this inequality in the work force is rooted in what shape future employees and employers – education. The research work will examine the inequalities in policy, actual teaching situations, admission to post-secondary institution, hiring and job benefits and wages, the situation will also tackle was is being done to solve this problem and what can be done to remedy the situation.
Monrovia Street is an area situated in Ungwan Rimi Gabasawa ward under Kaduna North Local Government with a total of least populated area in Gabasawa ward which is more or less like a GRA consist of civil servants, students and businessmen and women etc. the population has made up different tribe such as Hausa, Yoruba, Gwari, Igbo, Nupe, Katab, etc.
Those living in Monrovia are predominantly civil servants that is 80% of people are said to have gainfully employed either by government or private sectors. And of 20% of them are engaged in commercial activities ranging from trading, tailoring, hair dressing, etc out of which 15% where engaged by men only 5% is engaged by women base on the research.
I found that women were left behind in time of gainful employment as well as commercial activities in the area. In view of above a lot is expected to be done to bridge the gap between the two genders.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Men and Women are both equal and both play vital roles in the creation and development of their families in particular and the society in general indeed; the struggle for legal equality has been one of the major concerns of women movement all over the world. Therefore, the sense of insecurity, humiliation and helplessness always keep a woman mum our whole socialization in such that for any unsuccessful marriage which results the who is held responsible. Cultural beliefs and traditions that discriminate against women may be officially discredited but they continued to flourish at the grassroots level, this has been main of this research work.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
1. To find out factors responsible for low employment opportunities of women.
2. To find out the effort of Government towards reducing gender inequality.
3. To examine the implication of gender inequality in the society.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
A research of this nature has to do with gender issues must be of great significance. Gender inequality in terms of employment opportunities, home management and other issues are very critical. Therefore, this research will be of significance in the following areas:
1. The project work is one of the basic requirements for the award of National Diploma in Social Development.
2. It is expected to provide solutions to the problem of gender inequality generally and specifically in employment opportunities.
3. Considering the roles played by human in home and nation building, if genders imbalances are corrected using the recommendation of this research, the nation would be greater, this is another significance.
4. Researchers may find this work as a foundation for further research.
5. Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) may find the research work and its recommendation very useful.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What are the factors responsible for low employment opportunities of women?
2. What are the efforts of government towards reducing gender inequality?
3. What are the implications of gender inequality in the society?
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
In carrying out the research work, the researcher chose Monrovia Street as area of study and focused on gender inequality on women employment opportunities restricted the finding in the above area.
And most of whom he asked question were women because they are most hit by poverty and vitracy and dominated in terms of wages, salaries and other commercial activities.
In view of the above, the researcher promoted to focus more attention on women in order to find out why the inequality exist and look for a way to find solution and unless something various is done by the government to control the problem.
CLICK FOR MORE;effects of gender inequality in nigeria, gender inequality in nigeria pdf, causes of gender inequality in nigeria