RESEARCH PROJECT TOPIC ON PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF DUCK FARMING
This project work was carried out in Ovia North West Local Government Area of edo state to examine the problems of duck farming within the area. 5o questionnaires were distributed among farmers in the local government but there response where only analyzed using simple frequency and percentages. From the analysis it was revealed that 30% the farmers attributed the problem of duck farming to disease condition which 80% identified some other problems. The result further revealed that 80% of the respondents attribute the non acceptance of duck meat of superstitions belief another 8% of the respondents further stated that there is no ready market for ducks and ducks raised are reared for family consumption, it was discovered that duck have high resistance to common poultry diseases and their eggs are bigger in size than that of chicken and if the market is created for ducks eggs and meat duck farming will become a gold mine.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content
1.1 Background of study
1.2 Statement of the problem
1.3 Purpose of the study
1.4 Research question
1.6 Scope of the study
1.7 Significance of the study
2.1 literature review
2.2 development of the poultry industry
2.3 duck farming
2.4 breeds of duck
2.5 benefit of duck farming
2.7 combining duck keeping with rice cultivation
2.8 combining duck with fish culture
3.1 materials and method
3.2 population of study
3.3 sample and sample procedure
3.5 validity and reliability of instrument
3.6 administration of instrument
3.7 method of data analysis
4.1 Discussion of results
4.2 Test of hypothesis
5.0 conclusion and recommendations
Ducks are tough animals and good scavengers. They are easier and cheaper to keep than chickens. This makes duck keeping for the production of eggs and meat an attractive enterprise about 700 million ducks are kept around the world, the majority of these more than 500million are found in Asia. Despite this uneven distribution, it is certainly also possible to raise ducks in parts of the worlds, including Africa and Latin America. Ducks can be reared for eggs and meat, for own use or for sale. Other products from ducks which can also be sold include down feathers and fattened livers. There are many similarities between chicken and duck rearing. The most obvious similarities are found in the type of the products for which these forms of poultry we kept duck, like chicken are good producers of eggs and meat.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Ducks however have several advantages over other poultry species, in particular their disease tolerance. They are hardly, excellent foragers and easy to hard, particularly in wetlands where they naturally tend to flock together. Ducks are relatively easy to raise and generally need less care than chickens.
This study seeks to determine the problems and prospects of duck rearing in Ovia North East Local Government Area.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The study will deal with queries as enumerated below:
- Is duck rearing popular in this locality?
- Is duck meat popular among people?
- Why is duck meat not acceptable to some people
- What percentage of the people do not want duck meat?
- Hoe can duck meat rearing be improved in this locality?
- What is the contribution of duck meat to the poultry industry in Nigeria?
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
This research was proposed on the background of the following desires;
- To ascertain the level of acceptability
- To determine the proficiency of duck meat rearing/farming
- To unveil the reasons for level of acceptability of duck meat
- To propose ways to enhance duck meat production
- To encourage more production of duck meat.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
This study will focus on the following queries relating to problems and prospects of duck farming in Ovia North West local Government area of Edo state
- What are the problems of duck farming in Ovia North West Local Government Area?
- How much as these problems hampered the level of duck productivity?
- What are the efforts made by the non government agencies in tackling these problems
- What is the contribution of duck farming to the poultry industry?
- What are the prospects in duck farming?
- How can duck farming be improved?
This research study was undertaken with the following assumptions regarding the problems and prospects of duck farming in Ovia North West Local Government area of Edo State.
HO: the dirty nature of ducks has no effect on their acceptability
H1: the dirty nature of duck has effect on their acceptability
HO: high cost of feed, ingredient has no effect on duck production
H1: high cost of feed ingredient has effect on duck production
H0: the popular extensive system of duck rearing has no effect on productivity
H1: the popular extensive system duck rearing has effect on productivity
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research was based on questionnaire approach involving farmers and rural dwellers in Ovia North West Local Government Area of Edo state. They were made to answer questions presented in these questionnaires. Their opinion were studied and analyzed scientifically with a view to giving adequate insight into the problems and prospect of duck farming in Ovia North West Local Government Area.
1.7 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will provide adequate insight and help in the following ways:
- It will give a background knowledge of duck farming
- It will identity some problems affecting duck farming in Ovia North West Local Government Area
- It will propose solution to these problems
- It seems to recommend to the people, the benefits, the benefits of duck farming.
- It will reveal the prospects in duck farming, thereby encouraging prospective farmers